[lug] glibc-debuginfo...Help.

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Apr 12 15:24:36 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 15:01 -0600, Matt Thompson wrote:
> OK, in order to debug a problem I have with abiword on my FC3 box, I was
> asked to install the glibc-debuginfo packages so that gdb works better,
> I guess.
>
> Installing it is no problem, but I was wondering what happens to my
> system with that there.  All of the sudden, will all my programs load up
> a mess of debug information?  That is, will Firefox and Evolution be
> larger than they usually are?
>
> Sorry for the dumb question, but I've never used debuginfo packages for
> something so fundamental as glibc!

It is my understanding that RedHat does a thing that separates the debug
information into separate files where it doesn't conflict with the real
executables and libraries.  gdb knows where to look up the debug
information when it's needed and everything else ignores it.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>