[lug] various framebuffer options

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Apr 30 18:02:14 MDT 2005

Messing around with the laptop here today.  It has an Intel on-board
video chipset that works either under vesafb or intelfb.  I've been
alternating kernels here going back and forth with one that has vesafb
built-in, and one that has intelfb built in.

I know the intelfb driver is accelerated, but for some reason today when
I've been messing around with it, it won't do a nice high-res console as
well as vesafb seems to.  It also doesn't seem to handle going in and
out of X correctly.

Perhaps I'm just clueless in the way of the framebuffer.  I have seen
some references to other apps to change things on the fly like fbset and
some others specific to this 855 chipset.

I guess my question is this: Anyone here played around with a machine
that has an Intel graphics chipset?  What do you like/dislike about the
two framebuffer drivers above?

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>