[lug] various framebuffer options

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Apr 30 18:06:09 MDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 06:02:14PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> I know the intelfb driver is accelerated, but for some reason today when
> I've been messing around with it, it won't do a nice high-res console as
> well as vesafb seems to.  It also doesn't seem to handle going in and
> out of X correctly.

I should add a couple of comments:

Since it's a laptop it's a non-CRT display.  LCD at 1280X800, because
it's "widescreen".  This makes setting things like vga=??? a little
difficult because there aren't any standard settings for wide screens.

The vesafb driver does a nice job of switching to 160x50 on this screen,
which is nice and small and looks nice.  I pass
video=vesafb:1280x800-32 at 60 to the kernel at boot-time when using the
vesafb driver.  Passing similar stuff to intelfb doesn't seem to work.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>