DVD backup [was:] [lug] Robust storage

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Mon May 2 08:40:56 MDT 2005

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 10:07:20PM +0200, rm at fabula.de wrote:
>
>>development stuff. All the GUI tools i know will attempt to create
>>a mirror of the filesystem tree before even creating the ISO image -
>>that won't work since sometimes there isn't enough space left on the
>

> You can pipe mkisofs to cdrecord so that it doesn't take 5GB of disc space.
> I've never done it, but it should work.
>
> Apparently, you didn't get a DVD-RAM drive?  I was just playing around with
> the DVD-RAM drive on my new laptop for the first time today, and it's
> pretty slick.  I just mounted /media/cdrecorder, then I could do an "rsync
> -av . /media/cdrecorder".  It's slow to copy 4GB, but it seems to work just
> fine.  You can apparently get discs up to 9GB in size.
>
> Of course, I don't really have any need for that sort of usage, I'm more
> interested in using them like floppies to copy stuff to other laptops if
> I'm out or traveling.  My test of that wasn't so successful, a friends
> PowerBook today just spit the disc back out at me.  DVD-RAM isn't very
> common.

IIRC, DVD+RW supposedly has the physical characteristics that will permit
that kind of usage -- at least as soon as drivers, etc. are updated to
support it.

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr at unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce