[lug] replacement for gnome-terminal

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Tue May 17 10:48:40 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:09 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 09:36 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > The only thing I have noticed anoying about Terminal is that when you
> > are scrolling a ton of things (large compile, etc) it uses up a large
> > about of cpu.
>
> The major CPU hog with gnome-terminal and Terminal is anti-aliased
> fonts.  If you want your good old xterm speed back, use a bitmap font.
> Or, you can use an nVidia graphics card with binary drivers and
> RenderAccel turned on.  I don't know which open-source drivers do a good
> job at it.

Although, I will say that Terminal is much, much faster than gnome-
terminal in scrolling, at least on my box.  It could be the smaller
memory/CPU footprint or something else, but when using the same TTF font
(Lucida Console, I think), Terminal is much better.

Of course, as Zan says, using MiscFixed or some ugly font makes the
terminal instantaneous.  But, I could never get those to work in, say,
xjdic or the like as bitmap Japanese fonts make my eyes water.

Matt
--
The mayfly lives only one day, and sometimes it rains. - Geo. Carlin
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/