[lug] (no subject)

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed May 18 12:01:27 MDT 2005

Dan Ferris wrote:
> Ok,
>
> This particular problem is beginnig to drive me insane.  The is on both
> Fedora Core 3 boxes AND our Red Hat Enterprise 3 boxes:
>
> (1) [~] > gcc test.c -o test.o
> /lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to `_dl_check_caller at GLIBC_PRIVATE'
> /lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to `_dl_tls_symaddr at GLIBC_PRIVATE'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> This error comes from any box that includes stdio.h or anything else
> that needs glibc.
>
> glibc hasn't been touched since like December.  Any ideas to make this
> problem go away would be appreciated.

Don't know a specific answer, but if someone were mucking with your
libraries (i.e., malicious), they might have messed up. But more likely,
two libraries are being mixed which were compiled against the wrong
versions. Simply put, some libraries reference other libraries, and
perhaps one was linked against the wrong version...the end program is
not the only code that can link against libraries. If this is the case,
then compiling from source (provided you can find out what wants that
symbol) would fix it.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net