[lug] Samba connectivity question

Mark Sweitzer mark at marksinfo.net
Thu May 26 13:26:22 MDT 2005

I think that this situation is bit more complicated than a deficiency in DNS
resolution. Whenever I've encountered a DNS problem with a Windows PC on a
Samba network in the past, even though I couldn't access a Samba share via
it's server name, I could always see the share by browsing to it's IP
address "\\x.x.x.x". With these current Win98 PC's, even that doesn't work,
so I believe I still have something mis-configured in "smb.conf" (see
contents below) that communicates well with XP clients, but does not with 98
clients.

I'm still seeking advice on this.

-Mark