[lug] adding java to mozilla on linux

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu May 26 14:59:32 MDT 2005

D. Stimits wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied, this did the trick.
>
> I'm still confused about something though...what the heck is the good of
> having the "helper applications" in mozilla if I can't assign an
> application to a MIME type?

I think "helper applications" have a separate role than plugins.
With something like "pdf" it's acceptable to open a new window.
The Acrobat plugin for MSIE puts the information in the browser
window, but that's not critical to its operation.

Likewise an "mp3" MIME type should launch a player app so you can
control the volume, fast forward or rewind through it, etc.

But Java is different since it should usually stay within the
browser window.  Soem applets can be run standalone, but most are
designed to be used within the context of an HTML page.