[lug] Backup system ideas

Ben Luey lueyb at jilau1.colorado.edu
Thu May 26 18:29:48 MDT 2005

I've been looking at dirvish, (thanks for the info) and it looks really
cool as a backup system. I wondering about security, though: the howto
suggests using ssh keys so the backup computer can login to the main
computer *as root* without a password and then you can cron the dirvish
backup on the backup-computer. This strikes me as a bad idea since then if
someone hacks the backup server, they have full access to the main server.
Is there a way around this? I've been compressing my data on the main
server to a file and rsyncing that file with a cron script, but the backup
computer logins in (w/o password) as a very restricted user. If I create a
dirvish user on the main server, that user has to have read access to
everything I want to backup, which isn't trivial in my case. Can you setup
dirvish to be pushed from the main server, instead of from the backup
server, so then the server just needs a ssh key to someone with disk space
on the backup computer?

Any ideas? I'd like to try it if I could trust it.

Thanks,

Ben