[lug] remote clients can't display on FC3/KRUD

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 14:21:20 MDT 2005

>>I never said udp/ip :P, just udp.
>

> Yes, that was intentional :) My point: udp _is_ an IP protocol (unless you
> show me how to create a create an udp socket that's _not_ of type PF_INET ...).

You are correct, UDP sockets are IP, no argument from me.

>>Processes using a unix socket in one
>>way or another are udp enabled, regardless of how the socket/file is
>>exposed.
>

> Hmm. Might it be possible that you mix up 'udp' (as of RFC768 - part of
> the inet family) with 'datagram' (a socket _type_).

Ok, UNIX domain "sockets" are a local IPC mechanism, with network-like
properties. They can be used for bidirection communications using either
a datagram mode or a stream mode. I was under the impression that they
used datagram mode, at least in the early days prior to security and
hardware accel being of concern. I did some research, it turns out that
although it does use UNIX domain IPC for local, it is not the datagram
form, instead it's the stream form. Prior to this I was using UDP too
liberally, when I should have been saying datagram (which is applicable
to both UDP sockets and UNIX domain IPC in datagram mode); even so, it
would have still been wrong, because it is stream mode which X11 uses.

Well, the important thing: If TCP is enabled for X11 it's pretty close
to insane to not firewall port 6000 (or whichever port your X11 monitors).

>>X11 by nature is networked...it isn't possible to run X11
>>without networking functionality, although protocols and socket details
>>are flexible.
>

> Again - depends on what you consider 'networking'. You can run X11 without any
> inet capabilities in the kernel as long as PF_UNIX is supported. I'd consider
> Unix sockets to be part of the interproces comunication.

I considered not just X, but the display manager for people who use
xdm/gdm/kdm. These are linked to network libraries, directly or
indirectly. You might turn off network services, but they still use some
of the functions of those libraries. Just try compiling them with all
networking libraries removed from the system. X11 by itself is pretty
useless. Granted, you can get by with a window manager and no display
manager (anyone using startx does this), but nowadays most people by
default boot to graphical mode. I consider it networking if it requires
the networking libraries to compile, which is probably a bad definition.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net