[lug] geeky remote control coolness with amaroK

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Fri Jul 1 09:19:17 MDT 2005

amaroK is a really slick media player.  I've never seen anything close
to it in features for Linux.  And, recent versions are stable :-)

I recently spent about a half hour or so figuring out how to control it
with my stereo's remote control and airman hardware (about $35).

You can do much more than this with the amarok DCOP API, but here are
the functions I can do w/the unused buttons on the remote I had handy:
	pause
	stop
	play
	skip to next song
	skip to previous song
	skip ahead (5|10) seconds
	skip back (5|10) seconds
	toggle on-screen display of playlist

Now I can pause music easily when the phone rings (and not fumble around
trying to find the right window on the right desktop and click on the
proper button with my mouse).  [Pause is much better than mute because
the playlist doesn't go on without me].

For those who are interested, the details are here:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ#How_can_I_control_amaroK_with_a_remote_control.3F

This will work with basically any type of remote control.  Pick some
buttons on it you're not using (or buy one of the remote controls from
the airman people).

With the explanation on the web, it will probably take the average
person who can compile things from source about 15 minutes from start to
finish (including training it using your remote).

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr at unix.sh>

Wilberforce