[lug] building SRPM's

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:21:07 MDT 2005

Have you considered using some other tool to make your RPM.  When I
had to make them a lot I used crust which is part of "rust".  Rust is
a gui tool for RPM building and crust is the backend system.  You
basically put the files in a directory structure and crust bundles
them into an RPM.

Another system I've used often is check-install (or is it chkinstall?
I can't recall and I'm not on my system).  You run it and it runs
"make install" (or whatever command you tell it to run) and keeps
track of what happens.  Then it queries whether you want it to be an
RPM, deb, or tgz file.  After you choose it'll bundle everything up
into the corresponding package.

I think RPM spec files are awful, and the whole idea of creating a
build system that outputs rpms is a complete mess, so I've always
relied on these other tools to make my life easier.

Michael