[lug] building SRPM's

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jul 14 18:13:15 MDT 2005

D. Stimits wrote:

> i686 format, opteron format...you name it. I'll tell you something very
> very high on my wish list: Something like sourceforge that is a build
> farm with very high cpu power, that lets you submit a valid format like
> tarball or rpm, and creates all of those packages for you, asking
> questions on a web interface as it goes. I can write a lot of nice

The Debian buildd's do this for the various architectures.  Architecture
X's buildd grabs the latest source packages as they go by and tries to
build them for that arch.

Most of the other architectures besides x86 usually do get built by the
buildd systems if the package maintainer doesn't upload binaries (or can't).

I guess what I'm saying is... your dream is possible, if Debian can do
it interally -- but it'd require a LOT of heavy iron, and the real
problems would be building for different versions of different distros
all on different gcc, glibc, yadda yadda yadda.  It'd have to be a
pretty "smart" system.

At least for the majority of distros these days they utterly wimp out on
having support for anything other than x86 type stuff, so at least you
won't have to build THAT many alternative binaries for things, either...

Sarge's release was slowed by some of the older slower buildd's not
being able to keep up with the flood of "final" packages to build, I
read somewhere.  Then some trusted folks found some more old hardware
and put it all to work chugging away building things...

Buildforge - anyone?  ;-)

Anyone got a couple of million bux to throw at the problem for hardware
and bandwidth?  Sounds like a neat project.  :-)

Nate