[lug] building SRPM's

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jul 16 11:28:36 MDT 2005

D. Stimits wrote:
[...]
> I really cringe every time I have to think of packaging.

Perhaps you've discovered that software integration is different than
software development (which isn't exactly programming).  And that
software integrators are good people to know.  I don't really expect a
software developer to do more than make a tarball of the latest release
that configures and makes install.

Send me a link to your latest release and I'll see if I can build it
(hmm... should I do that on an Alpha, too?)  I can give you some
feedback on your portability.

I'd consider doing a Debian package for this (I'm more interested in
that than in programming, and if your package is simple it shouldn't be
that hard).  But the Debian guys say libraries are a bad place to learn
packaging.  Well, who knows?

I'd expect you to be using autoconf before you start making SRPMs.  And
to have a release process.  And to keep your spec files or whatever
(that's distro specific) out of the standard release.  (Not that my view
of the world has anything to do with reality.)

Dave