[lug] High Res Scanner for Suse?

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Jul 22 07:28:52 MDT 2005

Steve,

Sane (Scanner Access Now Easy) is what you need.  It comes with SuSE.  You
will need to find a scanner (USB, Firewire, SCSI, ...) that is supported by
Sane.  SuSE offers drivers for a great number of units.  Personally I use an
Epson 2450 Photo and it has been well supported for the past few years.  USB
2.0 is nice for its speed - I wouldn't go slower than that.

My recommendation is to go into Yast2 -> Hardware -> Scanners and pretend to
manually add a scanner.  You can then read through the list of supported
scanners.  Some models have more than one driver.  This should let you verify
that a unit you like is supported.

Good Luck,
Ferdinand

--