[lug] Re: [clue-tech] kppp and indra.com?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Aug 26 17:56:58 MDT 2005

Crawford Rainwater wrote:
[...]
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 07:09 -0600, dhahn wrote:
>
>>It's been ages since I've kppp'd.  But, IIRC, there used to be a log
>>window or something that you open and see the low down on the
>>connection.  If so, can you post the output?

I'd connect with minicom and see whether you get login and password
prompts before the PPP garbage starts.  If so, you tell kppp to answer
those by scripting it (it has a pointy-clicky script builder).

[...]
> Clicking the "Details" produces the following from the PPP log:
> Aug 26 07:31:48 localhost pppd[7642]: The remote system is required to
> authenticate itself
> Aug 26 07:31:48 localhost pppd[7642]: but I couldn't find any suitable
> secret (password) for it to use to do so.
> Aug 26 07:31:48 localhost pppd[7642]: (None of the available passwords
> would let it use an IP address.)

I'd take this to mean that your pppd wants the ISP to authenticate
itself.  It won't do that, nor does your system know how it would.  So
look at the pppd configs and see how to disable that (or allow anonymous
connects, or whatever they call it).

This suggests that the auth line in options is the problem:

http://clue.denver.co.us/pipermail/clue-tech/2003-June/007706.html

though other google hits suggest you have PAP/CHAP set wrong.  But a
little experimenting should get it without waking up the tech again.

Dave