[lug] glibc and yum update woes

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Aug 28 17:51:04 MDT 2005

D> I've dug around some more, and it looks like some of the gtk/gnome
D> stuff got "upgraded" to the test version.

:(

>> You should get it from the fc4 fedora-extras if you are running
>> fc4.

D> Indeed, that's what I was trying to install as an update and it
D> wouldn't let me. Sadly, yum does not seem to have a way to "update"
D> from non-devel to devel and vice-versa. So I'm left figuring out by
D> hand what rpm's need to be forced...regular rpm deps do not seem to
D> want to allow me to reinstall the non-devel versions.

Humm... I think you might be confused here...(or perhaps it's me. :)

yum uses 'repositories'. These are defined in /etc/yum.conf or in
/etc/yum.repos.d/

Each of these repositories (for example, fedora, fedora-extras,
fedora-updates) can decide what branch of packages you want by looking
at your 'fedora-release' package. Ie, if you are running fc3, fc4,
devel (fc5), etc.

So, if you are running fc4, you want the fedora repository fc4
packages, the fedora-updates fc4 branch, and the fedora-extras fc4
branch, etc.

So, for example the packages I maintain for fedora extras (Xfce), I
need to make changes to the fc3, fc4, and development branches, and
request seperate builds for each. So each binary rpm was compiled
against the right libs, etc.

>> gqview works great on my fc4 laptop. It also works on my fedora
>> development test box, but they are _not_ linked against the same
>> libs...

D> Yup, a number of my gtk and gnome stuff now fails. All of them want
D> devel versions...not directly but each time they run some library
D> they link to wants something that's missing. This was a test
D> install on a spare drive anyway, I'd like to save it but if it gets
D> to be too much trouble I'll wipe it and start over, saving things
D> like my /etc/ first (I still have my original FC2 I can copy it all
D> over to).

Yeah, I would say just wipe it and do a fresh install...

D> D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net

kevin