[lug] rpm question

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 19:26:22 MDT 2005

Hugh Brown wrote:
> I'm building a package that needs an extra file added in order to build
> correctly.
>
> I've got
>
> Source0: latex-xcolor.tar.gz
> Source1: chngpage.sty
>
> What does rpm do with the second Source file?  I want it to copy it to the
> place that it untars the first source file, but it isn't doing that.
>
> All I've been able to find on the web is lots of people saying, you can
> list your source files as Source0, Source1, Source2, ....

I've had many a frustration learning about rpm packages...maybe this
will also help. I'm still a novice at this.

Generally in sources I see listed a single source and several patches.
I'm going to guess multiple sources might be for breaking a build down
into separate compilable modules that get built in a series. Patches are
applied in the %prep stage, but you can do other things in that stage as
well (I can't tell you if it is considered "proper" though). In my spec
files I define something like this (single line, ignore email line
wrapping):
"BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)"

Then in my %prep I start by cleaning out any old versions:
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

You could probably use cp as well, something like:
cp something.sty $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

But...maybe you want it in the actual source and not the build tree.
Notice that my BuildRoot defines $RPM_BUILD_ROOT but is itself defined
with other smaller pieces like %{name}. You could use those smaller
pieces and edit to do what you want.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net