[lug] Trying to get an NX connection

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:49:56 MDT 2005

On 8/30/05, Lee Woodworth <blug-mail at duboulder.com> wrote:

> >>Using

> >>when

> >>What about tcpdump from the client side? Are any packets being sent at
> all
> >>(perhaps to the wrong address?).
> >>
> >>If the connection uses SSH, I would check the X-forwarding settings in
> >>the client config (/etc/ssh_config, man 5 ssh_config) and on the server
> >>(/etc/sshd_config, man 5 sshd_config).
> >

> > I'm not sure how to do any of than on windows. Certainly, I don't have
> > tcpdump installed on it. We are on a switched network, so I can't just
> run
> > tcpdump on a randown Linux box, either.
> > My new favorite theory is that it is a cygwin conflict. I have cygwin
> > installed, of course (how else could I get work done?) and I've found a
> few
> > references that in the past there were conflicts b/w the NX cygwin and
> > previously installed cygwins.
>
> What is cygwins? I don't see mention of it on cywin.com <http://cywin.com>
> .

Typo--sorry . That is "cygwin". The NX FAQ does say that conflicts between
the NX version of cygwin and the installed version of cygwin can cause
trouble. They recommend removing the NX cygwin libraries. I tried that, but
they seem to have fixed things so that nxclient only looks at the NX cygwin.
At any rate, removing even one of their libraries caused error messages.
Apparently something go into a registry setting, or something, because even
reinstalling NX doesn't cause the error messages to go away. It's not a
helpful message, either. Just a dialogue box with "Error unknown" in it and
an "Ok" button.

On the client you need to figure out what is providing your ssh capability.
> It could be through cygwin's version of openssh, perhaps something NX
> installed, or perhaps Putty if you have previously installed that. Search
> for anything named *ssh*. Then check the configuration for X forwarding.

NX supplies its own ssh based on the cygwin openssh. I also used cygwin open
ssh. I can ssh by hand to the nx server. X forwarding works. The problem is
that nxclient doesn't seem to create any network traffic. It puts up a
"Setting up the X environment" dialogue and then hangs until it is canceled.
So I think something is going wrong with starting its X server.

Windows has some add-on administrative tools. A network monitor is included.
> I'm not sure what the add-on is called since its been a while since last
> installed it. Don't know if there is a version for XP, there are for
> 2000/2003 server.
>
> Too bad you can't just use a Linux box for the client. You don't have to
> have
> a win box near you to do development (non-graphics intense anyway). I have
> a spare server that has 2003 where I use rdesktop to connect from my linux
> system. Color palette is limited and you have to connect as administrator,
> but generaly works ok.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Michael