[lug] Trying to get an NX connection

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Tue Aug 30 17:49:06 MDT 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:

>>>I think I can now prove that it isn't the server that is the problem.
>>
>>Using
>>
>>>tcpdump I can show that the server recieves no packets from the client
>>
>>when
>>
>>>I run the client.
>>
>>What about tcpdump from the client side? Are any packets being sent at all
>>(perhaps to the wrong address?).
>>
>>If the connection uses SSH, I would check the X-forwarding settings in
>>the client config (/etc/ssh_config, man 5 ssh_config) and on the server
>>(/etc/sshd_config, man 5 sshd_config).
>

> I'm not sure how to do any of than on windows. Certainly, I don't have
> tcpdump installed on it. We are on a switched network, so I can't just run
> tcpdump on a randown Linux box, either.
> My new favorite theory is that it is a cygwin conflict. I have cygwin
> installed, of course (how else could I get work done?) and I've found a few
> references that in the past there were conflicts b/w the NX cygwin and
> previously installed cygwins.

What is cygwins? I don't see mention of it on cywin.com.

On the client you need to figure out what is providing your ssh capability.
It could be through cygwin's version of openssh, perhaps something NX
installed, or perhaps Putty if you have previously installed that. Search
for anything named *ssh*. Then check the configuration for X forwarding.

Windows has some add-on administrative tools. A network monitor is included.
I'm not sure what the add-on is called since its been a while since last
installed it. Don't know if there is a version for XP, there are for
2000/2003 server.

Too bad you can't just use a Linux box for the client. You don't have to have
a win box near you to do development (non-graphics intense anyway). I have
a spare server that has 2003 where I use rdesktop to connect from my linux
system. Color palette is limited and you have to connect as administrator,
but generaly works ok.