[lug] Repair Reiserfs root partition

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Sat Sep 3 14:49:44 MDT 2005

Bob Collins wrote:
> My hard drive has 9 fixable corruptions.  I am taken into single user
> and told to run reiserfsck --fix-fixables.  I do and it says it is read
> only mode, which it isn't but it is the root (/) partition.  Starting up
> with the SuSE 9.0 DVD takes me to where I am offer the choice of fixing
> problems.  I run this and it tells me it is repaired, but it isn't.  I
> think that is because it is the root partition.
> I don't have any floppies that will let me boot up with a root ram disk
> with the tools to fix the partion.  Does anyone know where to get such a
> thing or have a better solution.

I've done this before once or twice.  It typically _is_ in read-only
mode at this point in the boot process.

I've never had to do this from floppies.  But, I don't remember exactly
what I had to do to fix it.  I've either done it from the boot-up prompt
  or from the CD (but I don't remember exactly which).

But, in my case it was more complicated because there were also
non-fixable things, so I had to recheck with some "stronger" options.

In any case, you _can_ fix it from there.  If the filesystem is mounted
in read-only mode, you'll probably have to reboot immediately after
running fsck.

I always run fsck one more time after it's said everything is fixed.

I tend to be skeptical that way :-).

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr at unix.sh>

Wilberforce