[lug] Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Fri Sep 16 04:29:02 MDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:15:49PM -0600, Lee Woodworth wrote:

> We are setting up dsl basic internet service. The setup and
> all goes fine for outbound internet connectivity.
>
> The problem is the qwest supplied actiontec GT701 dsl modem.
> It has an embedded DNS forwarder that is taking over the DNS
> ports and we are trying to run a secondary DNS server. There
> will be a similar issue with running a web server.
>
> The short of it is that actiontec support says the forwarder
> can't be turned off and our attempts to kill it/bypass it
> haven't worked.
>
> I've looked in the howtos and searched the web, but found
> no answers to the following questions. The qwest web site has
> almost zero information of any use. Hoping to avoid dealing w/
> qwest tech support as the chances of getting someone that
> knows the answer is slim.

Have you looked into other providers?  Speakeasy is the only other provider I
have personal experience with, but I can tell you the difference between
Speakeasy and Qwest is night and day when it comes to technical support.  Even
their bottom-tier people know what they're talking about.  There have also
been recommendations on this list for several local providers that sound like
they can provide that kind of service too.  I'm paying $55/month for 1.5/384
with 1 static IP, and Speakeasy is the only provider I know of that allows you
to run any server at that price, and also explicitly allow wireless sharing in
their TOS.  Can any of the local providers match all those terms?  I would
have gone local (assuming any of them could match all the conditions I just
mentioned), but I thought it was likely I'd have to move before the contract
was up.  Also, my service always seems to go out at night and I figured a
national provider would have better tech support at night, is that the case?