[lug] Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Fri Sep 16 15:09:23 MDT 2005

Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:15:49PM -0600, Lee Woodworth wrote:
>

>>We are setting up dsl basic internet service. The setup and
>>all goes fine for outbound internet connectivity.
>>
>>The problem is the qwest supplied actiontec GT701 dsl modem.
>>It has an embedded DNS forwarder that is taking over the DNS
>>ports and we are trying to run a secondary DNS server. There
>>will be a similar issue with running a web server.
>>
>>The short of it is that actiontec support says the forwarder
>>can't be turned off and our attempts to kill it/bypass it
>>haven't worked.
>>
>>I've looked in the howtos and searched the web, but found
>>no answers to the following questions. The qwest web site has
>>almost zero information of any use. Hoping to avoid dealing w/
>>qwest tech support as the chances of getting someone that
>>knows the answer is slim.
>

> Have you looked into other providers?  Speakeasy is the only other provider I
> have personal experience with, but I can tell you the difference between
> Speakeasy and Qwest is night and day when it comes to technical support.  Even
> their bottom-tier people know what they're talking about.  There have also
> been recommendations on this list for several local providers that sound like
> they can provide that kind of service too.  I'm paying $55/month for 1.5/384
> with 1 static IP, and Speakeasy is the only provider I know of that allows you
Their web site doesn't list that kind of service now. The qwest business
internet basic plans run about $45/mo w/ 1 static ip. The actiontec is
reporting connection speeds of 1.5M/980K.

We'd use mesanetworks if they had service in Eldorado Springs. The premier
residential service is $55/mo (6 months prepaid), 1 static IP, 2.5M/1M
wireless broadband. You get a plain ethernet jack, a gateway address,
no blocked ports and you're done. You can use your choice of router/firewall
or whatever. Their tech support and installers are knowledable and respond
fairly quickly, depending on the nature of the problem. The one issue I have
had in 2-1/2 years was a radio tower that had a problem and they fixed it in
30 minutes.