[lug] Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Sep 18 06:34:24 MDT 2005

Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 05:19:00PM -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
[...]
>>Qwest basic is $15/mo for 1.5/960 (currently) with a static IP.  I
>>haven't looked closely but I didn't see any restrictions on servers or
>>wireless.  I suppose they don't want me reselling anything, and they may
>>get upset if my servers ever run too much traffic.  But $40/mo isn't
>>chump change.
>
> I think you're comparing apples and oranges.  I'm assuming that Qwest price
> you quote is both with Qwest home phone and excluding the DSL line.  How much
> would the total (line+ISP) be if you didn't have home phone with them?

No, the price doesn't have anything to do with phone service.  DSL + ISP
for Qwest is $28 + $15 = $43/mo.  They do have deals that require phone
service (e.g., $25/mo with MSN as your ISP, no static IP) and the first
12 months is less than that.  So $55 isn't that much worse than $43.
But you do have a slower upload speed, which might matter if you're
running a server.

> If they do start enforcing their terms of service and you have to
> switch providers, how much will you be out for early cancellation
> fees?

Getting Qwest to switch ISPs for me is around $30.  If Speakeasy can do
all the setup themselves then I'd guess I could cancel Qwest and sign up
with Speakeasy for nothing.  Or ask Speakeasy to foot the bill--it's
probably worth it to them.

I don't see anything in the AUP that limits what I do with my
connection, beyond the "don't do anything illegal, don't spam, don't
violate the DMCA."

Dave