[lug] Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP [Resolved]

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Mon Sep 26 22:18:59 MDT 2005

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:15:49PM -0600, Lee Woodworth wrote:
>
>>It has an embedded DNS forwarder that is taking over the DNS
>>ports and we are trying to run a secondary DNS server. There
>>will be a similar issue with running a web server.
>

> As far as I know, that's only an issue if you use the Actiontec as the DHCP
> server.  If you have your own DHCP server and use different DNS than the
> ActionTec, it won't be a problem.  At least, that has been my experience
> with my ActionTec 701.
>

>>The short of it is that actiontec support says the forwarder
>>can't be turned off and our attempts to kill it/bypass it
>>haven't worked.
>

> You clearly need to try harder.  ;-)
Had the DHCP server and DHCP client turned off. Tried using the DMZ host
and port forwarding features too. Killing the iptables rules with
QUEUE targets unexpectedly killed all WAN traffic even though it
looked liked the rules should have only applied to port 53. If I had
time to invest maybe it would be interesting to figure out what the
bridge & netlink facilities could do in 2.4.17. Don't have the time
so we just replaced the actiontec with a Zoom X5 since you have to
buy/rent the actiontec from qwest anyway. The Zoom is much better.
The port forwarding from the WAN side with DNAT works as expected.
You can even move the ports the config http/telnet servers use as
well as the port the LAN-side DNS relay uses.