[lug] VSFTP Doesn't connect for some people

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Oct 13 16:52:29 MDT 2005

I looked a little more closely, and found:

----------------------
connect_from_port_20
        This controls whether PORT style data connections use port 20
        (ftp-data) on the server machine. For security reasons, some
        clients may insist that this is the case. Conversely, disabling
        this option enables vsftpd to run with slightly less privilege.

        Default: NO (but the sample config file enables it)
--------------------

this looks like it controls whether or not you'll accept an active
connection, but I suspect that it won't stop the client from trying (and
failing if it is set to NO).  I'm not sure if there's another method for
doing an active connection besides the PORT way.

This parameter may be implicated as well.
-------------------
port_enable
        Set to NO if you want to disallow the PORT method of obtaining a
        data connection.

        Default: YES
------------------------

This might be useful (theory being that if the command for creating an
active session isn't an allowed command, then maybe the client will fall
back to a passive connection):

--------------------
cmds_allowed
        This options specifies a comma separated list of allowed FTP
        commands (post login. USER, PASS and QUIT are always allowed
        pre-login). Other commands are rejected. This is a powerful
        method of really locking down an FTP server. Example:
        cmds_allowed=PASV,RETR,QUIT

        Default: (none)

All of the usefulness of the above is pure conjecture and is taken from
the man page.

Hugh

Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu>