[lug] grub.conf and BIOS drive specifications

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 13:05:27 MDT 2005

I'm trying to figure out, on a machine with both IDE and SCSI
integrated, when booting from SCSI (the bios is set to boot scsi first),
or when booting from IDE (the bios is set to boot ide first), the
grub.conf still calls the boot device hd(0), despite the device changing
from scsi to ide or back. I'm trying to figure out a way that I can name
across both scsi and IDE, e.g., have /boot/ on scsi first drive, but be
able to name a root partition for one case as the ide drive, and in the
other case the scsi. The number of scsi disks varies, so I can only
predict there will be at least one scsi device, and exactly 1 ide hard
drive (plus ide cdrom).

Since hd(0) only refers to the first drive, but does not tie it to a
particular controller (bios settings change which it calls the first
drive), in a mixed ide/scsi environment, how do I specify specifically
the first scsi drive? Or specifically the first ide drive? I suspect
there is a way to use BIOS drive number to do this, but I'm not familiar
with how the BIOS labels can be extracted or identified. Can I extract
BIOS drive numbers in a way that allows me to name the first drive of
scsi or the first drive of ide, and not depend on what the BIOS setting
is for boot scsi first or boot ide first? And in a way that won't change
the drive number of the IDE drive when I alter the number of scsi drives
plugged in to the backplane?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net