[lug] Suse 10 Dismay

Dave Hagerty dave at surfingpenguin.com
Wed Oct 26 06:26:24 MDT 2005

> This morning I started to install Suse 10, but found
>it's been dumbed down seriously.  Many packages have been
>omitted.  It's as if anything dealing with science or math

I admit that I kind of see their point.  Most people aren't interested
in BLAS, LAPACK or doing FFTs.  Most people don't do code development in
C, etc.  I don't know that I would characterize it as "dumbing down" as
much as I would call it "going where the ducks are".

If you're going after a desktop/business type market, speed of
installation (something that's fast across a network off of a kickstart
server) starts to win.

                               Dave

--
Dave Hagerty
... and they that weave networks, shall be confounded.

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 98 or better'. So I installed Linux."

"There is no limit to the good you can do if you don't care who gets the
credit." - George C. Marshall