[lug] Do CD-TWs suck?

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Thu Oct 27 16:24:45 MDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 03:54:17PM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> We switched to using Taiyo Yuden discs, and since then have had absolutely
> no problems.
>
> Those discs were about twice the cost of the other discs, but with a 50%
> failure rate, it was actually cheaper to use the more expensive discs.  Our
> customer complaints about CD failures basically dropped off to nothing at
> that point.
>
> So, there *IS* a difference in disc quality.  I've seen it, absolutely.
> I've had absolutely fantastic luck over the last 2 or 3 years with using
> Taiyo Yuden discs.  If I had something important to store, that's all I'd
> use.

That's what I was trying to remember for my last post: Taiyo Yuden is the
brand I've seen recommended over and over on the lists and usenet.  I've
always just bought whatever's on sale, but I'm not a very demanding user.
I've seen plenty of those discount CDs go bad, but I just burn another one.
If it was my primary backup system or it was part of my business, I'd
definitely spend more to get the good ones.