[lug] mounting zip drive fails: special device /dev/hdc4 does not exist

bof bof at pcisys.net
Thu Nov 3 08:03:01 MST 2005

I'm running Krud FC3 and, in upgrading from kernel 1378 to 1381, have
lost the ability to mount my zip drive (/dev/hdc4) using the command
"mount /media/zip". When I try this, either as a user or as root, I get
an error message mount: "special device /dev/hdc4 does not exist". In
/dev, hdc4 is there, as it always has been.mount:

I can still mount the drive if I am root and issue "mount -t vfat
/dev/hdc4 /mnt" but then I cannot write anything to it as a user.

It seems to me that this happened before when Fedora updated their
kernal and did not update something in the SE Linux features, but I
cannot find my notes and searching Google and the Fedora forums does not
come up with anything.

Solutions, anyone?

BOF