[lug] speaking of CD-R's that suck...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Nov 3 05:38:50 MST 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 04:35:53PM -0700, Lee Woodworth wrote:
>Besides disk order changing when a soft raid drive goes away, have you had

Disc order changing isn't a problem -- software raid writes a superblock on
every partition and so it can detect if /dev/sdb suddenly becomes /dev/sda.
The real problem is telling which one is which to be able to pull and
replace.

>big problems with just having duplicate boot systems on the indvidual disks?

Yes, this has been problematic for us.  To be honest, LILO seems to do a
better job than GRUB for software RAID, and even sometimes non-RAID
systems.  Something about the GRUB in CentOS 4 and newer hardware has been
very problematic.  Luckily, fixing it with lilo is real easy.

>According to the gentoo AMD64 notes, there are buggy MB BIOSes that cause
>problems with on-board SATA controllers.

Except that I was also having problems getting PATA to boot on those
systems as well.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Hi, my name's Sean, but my friends call me...  Actually, my friends USUALLY
 e-mail me...  -- Sean Reifschneider, 2000