[lug] CU Auction

Mike Stanczyk stanczyk at pcisys.net
Mon Nov 7 21:41:54 MST 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, George Sexton wrote:

> > I didn't get a thing.  But if you want to hear me bitch about the
> > auction...
>
> Sure. I'll take a guess. It was disorganized, and there were a lot of
> amateurs bidding things up to more than they were worth.

Yes and no.  There will always be amateurs at auctions.  It was more
about being screwed by the auctioneers and by others at the auctioneers
assistance.

Went like this, all day long:
Ok these 8 random computers are up for auction.  First we will auction
off a choice from these computers.  [Bidding]  Winner chooses a computer.
Next, another auction for choice.  [Bidding]  Winner chooes a computer.
Now, the other computers for 6 times your money.  (yes, that means that
you must buy all 6 computers, each at the auction price.)  [Bidding]

I wanted computer #6 but it was only a dual pentium 3 450mhz.  It was
not worth $60 for first choice.  (That went on a slow P4.)  There was no
second choice on this lot and then the computer went into a batch.  I don't
need 6 computers.  And I wasn't the only person who this happened to.

I'd rather Ebay.  I'll get screwed less often.  I heard that the CU auction
will have some things on Ebay soon.  I might try them there if they allow
for local pickup.

Mike