[lug] CU Auction

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 8 09:07:37 MST 2005

Mike Stanczyk wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, George Sexton wrote:
>

>>>I didn't get a thing.  But if you want to hear me bitch about the
>>>auction...
>>>

>>Sure. I'll take a guess. It was disorganized, and there were a lot of
>>amateurs bidding things up to more than they were worth.
>>

>Yes and no.  There will always be amateurs at auctions.  It was more
>about being screwed by the auctioneers and by others at the auctioneers
>assistance.
>
>Went like this, all day long:
>Ok these 8 random computers are up for auction.  First we will auction
>off a choice from these computers.  [Bidding]  Winner chooses a computer.
>Next, another auction for choice.  [Bidding]  Winner chooes a computer.
>Now, the other computers for 6 times your money.  (yes, that means that
>you must buy all 6 computers, each at the auction price.)  [Bidding]

It has been a few years since I've been to a CU auction, and it sounds
like nothing has changed.  I have no idea if this is typical for all
auctions, but it drove me crazy at times.  To their defense, it would
take all day and night if they auctioned everything piece-by-piece.  Was
scanning Craig's yesterday and it looks like some printer pallets from
the CU auction...

http://denver.craigslist.org/sys/109450793.html

Gary