[lug] gv questions

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Nov 15 17:07:19 MST 2005

Gary Hodges wrote:
[...]
> Yes, I was using KDE with SuSE.  No idea about free memory.  For what
> its worth I just ran the same thing on two other machines:
>
> Opteron 244 SMP w/4GB RAM Sarge 64 install
> Athlon MP 2000+ SMP w/2GB RAM Sarge install
>
> My Machine is a single Athlon XP 2600+ w/512 MB RAM Kubuntu 5.10 install
>
> My machine and the Athlon the speed is the same.  The Opteron seems to
> render each page at least twice as fast.

If there's a huge difference in video cards between the Opteron and the
two Athlons, I could be wrong about card making a difference.  If the
cards are relatively similar I think you can rule that out.

There could be a difference between the way SuSE and Debian compile gv.
  Perhaps SuSE uses more optimization or a more specific CPU setting
(e.g., k7 rather than 386).  Looking at the source packages should tell
you (though you have to get into the guts a little).

[...]
> Funny thing is as I page through my ps doc I'm wondering if I really am
> remembering how quickly SuSE and gv used to render each page.  I feel
> almost certain it was much faster, but at the same time I don't _trust_
> my memory as much as I used to, though I think it is as _good_ as ever.

If I were an admin and you were one of my users complaining I'd ignore
you until you showed me numbers.  So unless you can get an objective
comparison I wouldn't worry about it.  There's too much that could be
causing the difference, including the size of the doc or the way it was
generated between now and what you last looked at on SuSE.

<OT>
At work I recently had a developer tell me we couldn't package Java code
as a .jar because there were performance problems if we (someday) got
into multi-threaded or distributed applications.  I asked if he measured
the performance of our current system and he said no.  So I know there
are no specs for performance--if there were he would have to measure to
make sure we're in spec.  So I'm pushing for using .jars and if he comes
back and says ".jars are too slow" I'll tell him "go away, we're in spec".

This is in an environment where some people are unhappy it takes several
minutes to scan a directory with hundreds of thousands of files over NFS
but others are happy when their database intensive job finishes in under
30 minutes.  So worrying about a few seconds of latency loading classes
is clearly premature optimization (especially considering the build and
install efficiencies we hope to achieve by overhauling the system under
cover of "switching to jars".
</OT>

Dave