[lug] Backup

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu Dec 22 18:36:21 MST 2005

Even better would be one of the command and control centers. There's one
outside Phillip, South Dakota. During the cold war, each missle squadron had
two or three units of 10 silos. Each set of 10 silos had a command and
control center. The silos for the squadron were interconnected, so that Site
A could launch Site B's weapons if necessary. Above the command and control
center was a small barracks with a  vehicle maintenance facility, kitchens,
quarters, etc. The troops would rotate out to the site for a few weeks at a
time from the main base (Ellsworth). I toured it once on the 4th of July
when I was a kid.

You take an elevator down about 80-100 feet into the ground. There's a
chamber with a 20 ton Steel door. Inside the door is what is called the
capsule area. The working portion of the capsule area is about 30 feet long
with 19" equipment racks each side of the full length. The working area is
suspended from the ceiling of the chamber with chains. Hydraulic dampers
keep the thing from swinging too much. Of course there's a massive UPS
system to run the whole thing.

During the cold war, each capsule had two duty officers (captains and
lieutenants) on duty at all times, 24*7*365. It's a little known fact that
if the state of North Dakota had seceded from the union, it would have been
the 3rd largest nuclear power....

Practically speaking, an abandoned gold or silver mine up in the Rockies
would do a lot better.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/