[lug] Backup

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Thu Dec 22 18:58:31 MST 2005

* On 2005-12-22 18:37 George Sexton <gsexton at mhsoftware.com> wrote:

> Practically speaking, an abandoned gold or silver mine up in the Rockies
> would do a lot better.

Mines in general, and certainly abandoned mines, don't tend to have decent
power or connectivity. It'd be the roach motel of data storage, you can get
it in, but you can't get it out.

One of the considerations that I have yet to see discussed in this thread
is how do people figure out what a reasonable amount to spend for data
protection is?

We know we can't get insurance for data loss, so if we want to be covered
for any financial problems related to data loss, we're out of luck. That
has driven our backup strategy to be one of 'keep as much as you can, in a
format which takes as little trouble to recover as possible', in at least
two places physically apart from each other.

For data that we can find from other sources, we don't worry as much
about backups.

The big cost for us would be time to recover.  The benefit is that we'll
never have to call a data recovery service, because they're only good for
recovering the-only-copy of data. And we only have one copy of something
important, we've failed.

Evelyn

This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [ ] social
Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [x] soon [ ] none

                            http://www.tummy.com/