[lug] Backup

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Dec 22 19:19:53 MST 2005

Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
[...]
> One of the considerations that I have yet to see discussed in this thread
> is how do people figure out what a reasonable amount to spend for data
> protection is?
[...]
> The big cost for us would be time to recover.

The keynote at LISA '03 was by a guy from eBay.  The most notable (to a
sysadmin) thing he said was "don't plan your backup strategy until
you've planned your recovery strategy".

They happen to know that (at the time, IIRC) their revenue stream was
$748/sec.  So the time to recover their few tens of terabytes of data
from tape was considerably more than they could afford.  And so they
have a hot spare site (although to me it sounded like the spare was
within earthquake distance of the primary--but I'm sure they thought of
that).

Dave