[lug] Backup

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jan 2 13:33:46 MST 2006

Bear Giles wrote:
[...]
> Yes, you can relay DHCP across routers.  But that's intended for
> enterprises, e.g., the CU campus or Comcast.  A SOHO user (practically
> by definition) is on a single subnet and probably has no more than a few
> dozen systems.
>
> As a practical matter does anyone route DHCP across the public internet?

[...]
> Again, "yes, but."  TFTP within your own network is one thing, doing
> TFTP across the public internet is asking for trouble.

My apologies.  I was speaking objectively about what's possible not
subjectively about what you might want to do.

But it's usually pretty easy to make most protocols work across the
Internet without "asking for trouble".  If you understand how the
protocols work, and what your requirements are.

[Skipped musings about what I would provide over public TFTP...]

Oh look, here's someone doing public TFTP:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2246528~root=equip,17~mode=flat

Before you say they're asking for trouble, ask yourself how this is
different than apt-get upgrade.

Dave