[lug] Cisco 678 and NAT

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jan 3 16:37:28 MST 2006

Timothy Klein wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2006, at 11:37 AM, Nate Duehr wrote:
>
>>> (I've yelled at them for weeks and they claim that there is nothing they
>>> can do: we are far from the station and the wires going from my work to
>>> the station are shared with 25 T1's and when the T1's are in use I get
>>> noise pickup and it drops the DSL connection.)
>>
>> That's silly.  T1's are synchronous circuits and they're always "in
>> use".  If they have an outside plant problem with cross-talk, they
>> need to fix it.  Of course, they won't -- but they should.
>
> You'll never get Qwest to fix this problem.  You get no guarantees of
> bandwidth on a regular DSL account, and they absolutely will not repair
> a line unless it is non-functional.  What Qwest has done here is sell

By the way, I can think of a few ways to make a DSL go all the way down...

The techs are as much caught in the bureaucracy as you are -- sometimes
they do a great job if you knock down whatever barrier is keeping them
from working on your circuit.

If you get lucky and get a perfectionist tech who likes seeing things
work correctly -- he'd get it working, even if he had to re-arrange all
the pairs in the cable.  They're out there.

"This circuit just keeps getting worse and worse... today it won't even
stay up..."

Whether or not you feel like playing that game is totally up to you.

Nate