graphing system usage (was Re: [lug] forcing certain services to use eth1 instead of eth0)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jan 4 22:29:48 MST 2006

Bear Giles wrote:

>>> How do you get it to capture values from remote systems?  I've added
>>> the 'allow' lines in the node conf file and created a hole in the
>>> firewall, but the connection is dropped immediately.  (Verified by
>>> telnetting to port 4949 manually.)  The logs show the expected IP
>>> address.
>>
>> Never mind.
>
> Never mind squared.  I can talk to the 'nodes', but the update process
> still isn't updating the database.  The logs show that both sites are
> getting hit... but nothing.

Make sure you read the 127.0.0.1 example for the "allow"... it has to be
a regex... not just an IP address.

^123\.123\.123\.123 - example.
123.123.123.123 - won't work.

Telnet from the main machine to port 4949 of the remote machine.  Make
sure you get a prompt back that says you're connected to munin.

(It gives you a prompt and then hangs... the usual CTRL-] to bail out to
the telnet "shell" and a "quit" will drop the session, of course...
standard telnet stuff...)

tcpdump helped me figure out that I was firewalling off port 4949 on one
box also...

Nate