[lug] install problems for cinelerra

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jan 17 22:00:17 MST 2006

> I don't even have an install of Windows any more, but if I wanted to do video
> editing, I would bite the bullet and get one.  Video on Linux still stinks.

I agree that the video stuff is annoying, part of which is probably
equipment manufacturer's phobia of being accused of being "bad" if they
want to do something that doesn't go into the pockets of multimedia
industry (fear of legal persecution as a means of keeping them from
doing the things they can do legally...looks like abuse of process
wins). On the other hand, OpenGL drivers have improved a lot, so
something good is bound to trickle down after a while. I do wish apps
like cinelerra had more of the requirements provided via easily-located
public servers (such as fedora core extras).

I did manage to get cinelerra partially installed, but not yet working
without a crash...perhaps because of reasons I myself have caused, but
don't yet know about (i.e., it's still useless, but showing signs of
maybe not always being useless).

If I have to edit on windows then reboot to linux to do other things,
then I'll just do without windows. The only thing I still use windows
for would be games...no need to game there then boot to linux to process
the game.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net