[lug] BVSD Windows vs Mac craziness

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Thu Jan 19 14:39:30 MST 2006

Bear Giles writes:
> It's possible that they're refusing assistance because of privacy
> concerns. Do you want strangers getting the names and addresses of
> thousands of young children? Access may be limited by law, or it may
> require extensive background checks that aren't worth it unless there's
> a serious commitment.

Not the case.  There are no background checks on any of the
volunteers (computer technicians or otherwise).  You can walk into any
school until 5p, plug in your laptop, and you are on the net.

To be clear, BVSD IT has no resources to do anything of consequence.
A school like Crest View has about 165 computers and oodles of
printers, and I think they get a single tech for one day a week.  The
tech often takes instructions from the volunteers who know what the
problems are.  The volunteers are parents (like me) who are in or
around the school every day, and get requests from harried teachers
about problems.

Rob