[lug] BVSD Windows vs Mac craziness

Ron Wright halsaves at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 09:49:47 MST 2006

On 1/19/06, William D. Knoche <Bill.Knoche at sun.com> wrote:

> I too have always been confused as to why the district has consistenly
> refused
> the assistence from competent volunteers in this area.
> When we first moved to Colorado I help network/wire several schools - we
> donated
> all the materials and all the labor. When we actually tried to take the
> next
> step and provide servers for each school we were refused.

I have tried several times to help with the webservers, email, firewalls,
> etc
> and have always been told my assistance was not needed or wanted.
> Things got busier at work (my wife got rif'd) and I just lost interest and
> gave
> up. My wife, 20 years as an IT manager,  with some free time also tried to
> help
> with the same result.

I think that the district has to be very careful accepting help from
volunteers.  Anything that requires "on-going support" has great potential
to be abandoned by the (well intentioned) volunteer(s) who set it up.
There's lots of discussion about comparing schools to business.  I don't
think there are many businesses who would accept volunteer help to setup
their servers.

Anything that doesn't leave behind a support nightmare should be perfectly
acceptable.  Cabling help is a good example.  Maybe a lunchtime Lego
Mindstorms club...?

   We should take this offline but if others have ideas how we can make a

> difference then I am always up for another try.
>
> --bill

Ron