[lug] BVSD Windows vs Mac craziness

Timothy Klein tck at silverklein.net
Sat Jan 21 13:08:26 MST 2006

On 21 Jan 2006, at 11:45 AM, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Understand, I also suspect that primary education in USA is in need of
> reform.  But I wonder if the reform advocates are qualified to do what
> is needed.

Three of the greatest reforms that American education could do:

* Get rid of school boards. They do more harm than good, and tend to
be populated by non-experts with an axe to grind.

* Eliminate the by-county funding nonsense.  Each state should have a
pool of education tax dollars, and it should be divided up per
student, regardless of where they live.  This rich kid/good funding,
poor kid/bad funding paradigm is absolute nonsense.  (Hell, there is
not even a compelling reason why taxes for education couldn't be
collected federally, and doled out by the Fed to every American
student.  That would eliminate the poor/rich state schism, too, but
that be an even more radioactive reform [in spite of the fact that
it'd be one of the very best reforms we could implement]).

* Develop *federal* standards.  Right now, what it means for a kid to
"succeed" or "fail" or "meet the curriculum" varies wildly from
county to county, making any meaningful metric of education success
nearly impossible.

Enact those three changes, along with a desire to actually fund
American education, and you'd go a long way to reforming the system
we have.  And you wouldn't even have to get involved in a fight-to-
the-death with a teachers union.  Of course, Americans tend to think
about education in a very reactionary way, so all three of these
reforms are effectively impossible.  Thus, American education will
continue to be:  good, in rich counties.  Average, in mixed
counties.  Piss-poor in poor counties.  What it means for a student
to be educated will continue to mean wildly varying things, depending
upon which friggin' *county* that student was educated in.  And
experiments at reform will continue to be experiments completely
devoid of any control, due to the wildly varying methods and
curricula from county to county. *sigh*

We won't be significantly fixing the fundamentally confused system we
have now by putting band-aids on it, as we are constantly doing.  And
the "go private" mantra will only screw average to poor kids even
harder.

I knew I should have just ignored this thread...

Tim