[lug] gimp selection dimensions

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 19:11:37 MST 2006

I have some large images I want to break down into multiple smaller
images, each of which would print on normal 8.5" x 11" paper, and then
they'd be reassembled onto a backboard as a single larger image. I know
I've seen some web-style gimp scripts in the past which can automate
this by cleanly cutting a large image into something like 4 equal size
proportional images, but either I can't find it, or the things I've
found just don't work (possibly related to updating gimp breaking
scripting tools). So, unless I can find a way to automatically cut this
image into 4 parts, I need to do this manually.

In the case of doing this manually, where the image is about 6000x4800,
I can't do a pixel exact selection, the monitor and mouse resolution is
just too low...zooming is not an option because then I can't select
large enough areas. So what I'm wondering is if I can't find a way to
automate this cutting into equal-sized pieces, is there a command line
or other tool that will allow me to select rectangular regions from the
keyboard? I.E., I want to type in the rectangular selection dimensions
via the keyboard naming the exact location of the selection via
keyboard. Any hints?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net