[lug] NSLU2

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat Feb 11 16:50:49 MST 2006

Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> Of course, I was assuming you were going to hack your slug before next
> Saturday. Can you server NFS without hacking it? I thought it only
> served CIFS unless you hacked it after which it could server both CIFS
> via SAMBA and NFS. I was not clear if the Samba was only serving its
> internal flash drives (like a linksys wrt54G can do) or the external
> USB driver you plug in the back.
>

> Siegfried

Perhaps someone can clarify something for me.  I thought that Samba and
NFS can't coexist.  I mean, obviously, you can run both servers at the
same time.  But you can't export the same files with both Samba and
NFS.   (Or mod_dav, god forbid.)

I remember the old days when you weren't even supposed to run local apps
against exported filesystems, but that shouldn't be a problem with
kernel-based servers.

The problem is caching and locking.  Kernel based servers will use the
kernel's on pages so they shouldn't be a problem.  But can the
userspace(?) samba server do the same?  Or does it have internal caching
that can get out of step with the rest of the system?  (E.g., I know
that mmap and advisory locks can go a long way.)

Bear