[lug] jigdo help

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 17 13:41:25 MST 2006

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Gary Hodges wrote:
> [...]
>
>> This brings up my first question.  Why are these entries listed as
>> unstable instead of stable?  Second question...  How do I then use
>> these disks to update the machine?  Running "aptitude update; aptitude
>> upgrade" doesn't do anything with either disk installed, mounted or not.
>

> Where did you get the images?  If they are the official Sarge CDs I
> wouldn't worry about the unstable part.  If it causes problems edit it
> to say stable and file a bug report.

I found the images by following the links on debian.org.

> Stable doesn't change very often so maybe you already have 3.1r1 on your
> machines and there's nothing to do.  Try editing the sources.list lines
> to say stable and see if that helps.

I know there are packages to update as I first connected with a modem
and ran update/upgrade.  There are 35 MB of updates to install.  I'm
testing this DVD update procedure for when I'm at my remote sites this
spring.

My understanding of how jigdo images are created is they will have all
the current updates included.  If this isn't correct, then I need to go
another route.

Looking at the debian site again I see those links are showing
modification dates back in December.  So maybe this is working but there
is nothing to upgrade on these disks.

> Since stable doesn't change very often you may be able to get updates to
> it (and security fixes) via dial-up without much trouble.  You can use
> apt-cache or some such so that machines behind the dial-up share the
> same downloads.

I have some ideas.  The initial update on some these machines will be
substantial.  Some go back to when sarge was in testing, so I'd like to
get the DVD update procedure figured out.

Gary