[lug] Linux | VMware | Xen question..

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Mar 3 17:36:21 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 16:59 -0700, Ken MacFerrin wrote:
> John Hernandez wrote:
> > Michael Belanger wrote:

> >>Well.. It is possible to use the "Hardware Profiles" in Windows.. Name one
> >>native and the other Virtual or something.  Choose which when you boot.
> >>

> > It might be interesting to try this Hardware Profiles approach.  I also
> > wonder if the Windows hardware-tied license would flag you, although
> > that too may be remedied by phoning corporate.  If you attempt it, I'd
> > be interested to know how you fare.
> >

> Now this sounds just interesting enough to try.  I have a feeling that
> something in Windows will freak out and make it a PITA but it's worth a
> shot to only have to maintain one Windows install..
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

I'm not entirely clear on how you'd do native windows and a vm windows
w/o essentially having two windows installations.  Granted I'm not a
vmware expert, but in my experience thus far, when you create a vm in
vmware it corresponds to a single file on the filesystem.  I really
doubt you could go back and forth.

Is there a reason for wanting to keep the non-vm copy of Windows around?

I'd think you'd just run the windows vm under linux when you needed it
and you wouldn't need to reboot.

Hugh