[lug] MB Replacement

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Mar 6 16:06:32 MST 2006

Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov wrote:
> Over the weekend the motherboard in my main computer died.  I've just
> ordered a replacement, though not the same model.  Will I have to do a
> full install again (Kubuntu 5.10), or will I be able to get things going
> without reinstalling?
>
> Gary

I've changed out several motherboards without issue under Gentoo, Debian
and RedHat.  With Gentoo you'll have recompile a new kernel with the
appropriate kernel modules for the new mobo (which can be done using a
livecd if your current mobo is dead).  With Debian and Redhat I've never
had an issue with it being fairly "plug and play".  The kernels for both
of these distros are complied to accomodate a pretty wide set of
hardware out of the box.  As long as the architecture hasn't changed and
the system wasn't incredibly customized then it's been relatively smooth
in the past.
-Ken