[lug] Wanted: Help with OpenVPN

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Sun Mar 12 17:51:01 MST 2006

Thanks to socket's generous help, I'm using OpenVPN in bridging mode to tie
together several windows and linux machines.

I have a problem however. After generating three clients and deploying them
successfully I want to generate another client. I have the easy-rsa/keys
directory full of the files for the previous clients. When I try to generate
a new client file, I get a zero length client.crt file. Why is this?

I posted a query for help on
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=161015 but received no help.

So I zipped up the keys directory and followed the directions at
http://openvpn.net/howto.html#pki.

If I run "vars", "clean-all" (which clears the keys directory) can I just
"build-key client1" and expect this client to be compatible with the files
generated by the "build ca" and "build-key-server server"? It seems like the
"build-key client1" would have to have the files present from the previous
"build-ca" and "build-key-server" command so it would be specific to the
server.

I'm going to give it a try, but I'll be surprised if it works. I hope I
don't have to start over again and deploy a whole new set of server and
client keys. And if I do, I'd like to know how to prevent this situation
from happening again.

Siegfried